Investing in an employee’s professional development is proven to provide an outstanding return through increased productivity which filters through to their team and then the whole company. Nowadays, Companies are experiencing great changes due to new technologies, globalization of business, rapid development of knowledge, and development of e-commerce. Also, companies have to take steps to attract, retain, and motivate their workforces. Training prepares employees to upgrade their skills , new technologies, function in new work systems such as virtual teams, and communicate and cooperate with peers, customers, and stakeholders who may be from different cultural backgrounds. Employee training programs can contribute to companies’ competitiveness and profitability. It also helps the company grow and improve customer service by providing employees with the knowledge and skills they need to be successful and efficient.
Benefits of Employee Training
- Training an employee so as to narrow the gap between existing skills and required skills to do a particular job will not only yield just monetary benefits but also lead to job satisfaction and general wellbeing of the employee.
- Employee Training increases motivation and confidence. Employee training gives all employees the same opportunity to have equal knowledge of skills and process. Employee training reduces nervousness and motivates the employees to achieve their goals.
- Employee training reduces employee turnover. The new employee will feel much more satisfied with his job when he knows what is expected of him. Without employee training, it is difficult for a new employee to know the full scope and expectations of the job.
- Employee training increases productivity. When a worker is trained based on the skills that are required by him to do the work, his efficiency and productivity increases. More work is done in less time because he does not have to figure out for himself how to do a job.
- Employee training makes recruitment process much easier. The process of recruitment is made easier because the HR team will know exactly what to look for in a candidate. They will have a clear idea of the skills that the candidate must possess and those that can be relaxed because the company offers training programs in those areas. It also gives the candidate the impression that he has the opportunity to learn on the job and take up new responsibilities.
- Employee Training yields cost benefits in many areas. The time that an employee takes to do his job is reduced. The amount of wastage in the materials used will decrease because he makes fewer mistakes. Another benefit of employee training is that the equipment and machinery that is used takes less money to maintain and also the safety of the worker is high. This saves money in terms of insurance and medical costs that may have been incurred otherwise. Recruitment costs are also reduced because of decreased employee turnover.
Employee training will increase the company image. Companies that implement a new employee corporate training program will be recognized as a desirable place of employment this is a huge selling point for job seekers.
Any program that is undertaken by a company should be evaluated at the end. With employee training programs this is very important because a training program is undertaken when a lack of skill is causing losses to the company. Effectiveness of the program is evident when an employee is able to perform a task that he was earlier unable to. The employee is also happier and more satisfied with the work he is doing and his productivity increases.